Please don't forget to leave feedback on the stories you read!

Anna’s Story - A Slave’s Journal Entry 12

New to writing? Post your story here. For first-time authors.
Danicali299
Silver Member
Silver Member

Anna’s Story - A Slave’s Journal Entry 12

Post by Danicali299 »

Slavery topics..not too dark this time..you know the drill

Any and all feedback is appreciated :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miss O’Connor’s bed was comfortable, too comfortable compared to what I was used to. By this point she was on her back and, for some reason, I was using her chest as a pillow while I was sleeping. It was still slightly awkward cuddling with her all night while she was naked, but at the same time I knew she didn’t really look at me sexually, and since I was already used to giving her baths we saw and felt a lot of each other anyway. It was nice, and even though I would usually end up cuddling with Jessica after I satisfied her, it felt kind of good to hold someone without the expectation of sex before or afterward.

I still didn’t want to get out from under those soft covers though, but her alarm clock was playing some top 40 song that woke us both up as she groaned to me, “Anna, go get breakfast started. I’ll be down In a little bit”. I gave her a half-asleep “Yes ma’am” and rolled out of bed. As I was getting my dress back on and about to run down to the bathroom to pee she groaned again, “And see if there’s any Gatorade in the fridge, this hangover is killing me”.

After making my way downstairs to the slave quarters to pee, Edna caught me on my way out and asked me, “Is she OK? I haven’t seen her that bad in a long time”. I shrugged and told Edna that I didn’t know and she let me go back to the kitchen to get breakfast ready. I could tell by how she looked at me that she thought we did something last night and didn’t look happy about it, but I was too behind that morning to care and needed to get to work on everyone’s breakfast.

Surprisingly, Miss O’Connor wasn’t the first one down and I was quickly joined by Michael who was telling me about his night while I made his french toast. I didn’t ask why he was banished yesterday, but for some reason, he volunteered that information without me even having to ask, and told me that he took a swing at his uncle over the way he talked about his mother the year before. He may have been dirty and lacking basic social skills, but hearing that he was willing to fight for his mother like that gave me a lot of respect for him at that moment.

A few minutes later, Miss O’Connor and Jessica joined us and sat there silently eating their breakfast. Jessica tried asking her mother why I was in her room all night, but Miss O’Connor interrupted her and groggily said, “I just didn’t want to sleep alone honey, nothing happened” and went back to eating her french toast. It seemed like nobody sitting there really wanted to talk after yesterday, until Miss O’Connor broke the silence by asking Michael, “So where did you end up last night?”. Michael replied, “Marcus was volunteering at some soup kitchen and I figured it would be cool to join him”.

Jessica then said sarcastically, “I’m surprised that you didn’t end up at a brothel or something”. Then Michael admitted, “ Well, I did, but it was mostly because the guy in charge of the volunteers was cool and offered to take us all to the one he ran and pick whatever girl we wanted for free. None of them spoke English though, so something didn’t sit right with me and I just left after the barcode on the Arab lady he gave me didn’t look like the one on Anna or the others”. Miss O’Connor looked at Michael with this serious face and said, “Michael, please tell me that you remember where this place is. I’m pretty sure those slaves were illegal and you need to tell the cops”.

Despite slavery being legal, there were a large amount of “illegal slaves” out there as well. Growing up in the bad parts of Philadelphia you learned to avoid the slavers that would kidnap people or smuggle them into the country and tattoo fake barcodes on them. It was a survival skill where I was from, and if you slipped up just once you could be taken away and put to work in everything from illegal brothels to drug labs. To be honest, not even gang-affiliated men and women were safe from these guys, and women especially were taught their whole lives to never go anywhere in our neighborhood alone, especially after dark.

It was a serious crime and the cops routinely busted these operations, but since their sales were nearly untraceable and these guys did their deals under the table, most of their victims were never found. Sadly all free people saw was a barcode and assumed that these slaves were legal, leaving the majority of these illegal slaves to live out their lives no different than the ones registered with the government most of the time. There were even cases of these illegal slaves getting rescued by the cops, only to be legally enslaved immediately after over the debt they built up while they were illegally enslaved or whatever crime they were forced to do by their owners. Luckily for those unlucky souls, the judges were usually lenient with them and they weren’t indentured for as long as a regular debtor or criminal would be.

This conversation continued as I cleaned up the mess from breakfast and eventually they all cleared out of the kitchen so I could clean up their mess on the island. The rest of the day was mostly easy work that was leftover from yesterday, and since Miss O’Connor had the day off, she even decided to take me out to practice my driving for a couple of hours. I already had some experience from before I was enslaved, but due to the higher standards required for a slave to get their license, Miss O’Connor was making me practice for at least an hour a day with her or Jessica so I would pass that rapidly approaching road test on my first try. I was excited at the possibility of getting my license since it would give me a break from the normal routine, even if it was just to go run errands for the house or play chauffeur on the days Miss O’Connor knew she would be too tired to drive home from work herself.

There were risks as well to getting a longer leash. If a slave got a ticket, they didn’t pay a fine. They got lashes at the local slave prison, with the number depending on how much the ticket would be for a free person. Same for accidents. If I was deemed at fault for an accident and someone got hurt, for example, I would most likely do a little time in the local slave prison because I hurt a free person. Honestly, a lot of things could make a slave end up there, ranging from simple things like a car accident or running away, to a slave hurting their owner. In those cases, the government would arrest the slave and give them a quick hearing before sending them to a place that supposedly made hell look nice.

I never understood how slave owners could tolerate the government taking away and damaging their “property”, but considering there hasn’t been a major slave revolt since the 1920’s it was probably a worthwhile trade-off in exchange for preventing another revolt from happening ever again. In reality, the slave laws were riddled with rules that were unnecessarily cruel or only seemed to make sense if you saw them as a way to keep slaves in different homes and businesses from communicating with each other and organizing any sort of resistance. I already knew that slaves couldn’t have social media accounts or full access to the internet, but we couldn’t even have a non-locked down phone either, to the point where the one Miss O’Connor was supposed to give me when I got my license was a “smartphone” that could only make or receive calls and texts to and from the numbers programmed into the phone by Miss O’Connor herself or use the slave-approved apps that came with it. Other than that, it was a brick that could barely call 911 in an emergency let alone be considered a proper phone.

After a couple more weeks of practice, I was finally able to take my road test the first week of December and passed with flying colors. Miss O’Connor seemed pretty happy for me when I presented an almost perfect road test paper in my hand and she even squeezed my shoulder, which was the closest thing to hugging she would do with a slave, while telling me warmly, “Good Job Anna, I think you earned a little treat for this”. She ended up buying me a McChicken and a strawberry milkshake while we were on our way over to Walmart to grab some things for the house and even presented my phone to me while we were sitting in the parking lot eating. I already knew that I wasn’t supposed to use it or text while driving already, but Miss O’Connor still felt the need to reinforce this by telling me about all the gruesome accidents caused by distracted drivers she got to deal with the bloody aftermath of in her ER every week. I didn’t want to hear about horrible accidents while I was eating, but it got her point across pretty well though.

Since I was also going to be running errands for the house now as part of my job, Miss O’Conner made a point to use this Walmart run as basic training on what brands she liked and how to use the card she had given me. Since we even had some spare time, she took the opportunity to buy me a few decent bras to replace the old ones that Jessica had given me. I had gotten used to the worn nature of my current ones, but the extra support the ones that fit me offered felt awesome as I was trying them on. Unfortunately, I was still a slave and had no choice in my clothes, so in the end, the cute bras I chose were rejected in favor of the white and gray utilitarian brand Miss O’Connor wore at work, which according to her, was better for my back and would be more comfortable to work in all day. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn’t have anything that made me feel cute or sexy, but I also understood that it was better in the end for my clothes to make my work more comfortable.

At the same time, however, Miss O’Connor was getting fed up with how much of a dirt and stain magnet my dresses were becoming and let Jessica finally decide what “uniform” her slave was going to wear when she finally moved. Luckily for me, Jessica didn’t like her slaves looking too much like slaves in public and settled on blue jeans, “mom” sneakers, and a simple gray button-up shirt that, while plain and unimaginative, looked like it would make me feel less like a slave while I was out and about. The new uniform even allowed me to wear tank tops so I could do my heavy cleaning without getting the nice clothes too dirty. I didn’t have a choice with those either, but white worked with my skin tone at least. If I was lucky, the new uniforms would even be there before Christmas.

Christmas time at the O’Connor’s was supposed to be a pretty nice time, unlike the stress leading up to Thanksgiving. Edna even seemed excited for Christmas as she spent the first few days of December going from room to room, filling the place with Christmas decorations. I tried helping her in between my assigned tasks, but for some reason, this was HER thing every year. After getting shooed away the third time, Earl informed me that not even he was allowed to decorate the inside of the house and invited me to come outside and help him hang the lights on the house.

I liked Earl, and even though he was a little sexist and old-fashioned about things sometimes, I appreciated the backup he gave me when Edna was going in on me for one thing or another. She stopped seeing me as a “hood rat” and “ghetto trash” taking advantage of the girl she helped raise, but to her, I was still a new slave and still didn’t have the experience or the scars to be worthy of her respect yet. I understood where she was coming from, but I would’ve appreciated her recognizing how far I’ve come at least.

After following him outside I wanted to help Earl out by going up on the ladder for him, but being the “old fashioned” man he was, I was firmly rejected as he clambered up the ladder while a woman half his size held it underneath him like it was going to be any help. It was snowing and I was already paranoid that he would slip and fall, but he seemed to be doing fine at first as he hung the lights like he said he did every year.

Then it happened. One second he was coming down the ladder to grab another strand of lights, and the next he slipped and knocked me head-first into the frozen ground as he hit it, back first, a second later. I was dazed and heard Earl crying out in pain as Edna and Michael ran out to make sure we were ok.

Michael checked on me as Edna was freaking out over her husband, and in my dazed state according to Michael, I ended up going right back down as soon as I tried getting to my feet to check on him myself. By the time I came to a minute or two later, Jessica was outside and doing her best to make sure nobody touched or moved Earl as I could hear the Ambulance in the distance. After a few more minutes, the ambulance got there to take Earl to the ER and Jessica made her way over to me. I was still dazed, and the snow I was laying in made me colder by the minute, but using her limited experience Jessica thought that I could be moved at least.

I don’t remember most of the trip to the hospital since I was drifting in and out of consciousness, but I do remember Jessica panicking on the phone as she called her mother and told her what happened after the second time she had to wake me up since I fell. She was on speaker phone and I could hear Miss O’Connor’s voice tremble after she heard what happened to us, like she knew something we didn’t. By then I was starting to feel the pain too, but I didn’t care, knowing that Earl was old enough to end up crippled from a fall like that and I would most likely be fine in the end. Earl didn’t deserve this, and as much as I didn’t like Edna sometimes, she didn’t deserve to see her husband hurt either. A moment later I lost consciousness again, and the last thing I heard was Miss O’Connor yelling something at Jessica before it went black again.

I woke up hours later in what I assumed was the hospital. I still felt out of it and tired, but for some reason, the pain was gone and there was this uncomfortable neck brace keeping me from turning my head as I stared up at the ceiling above me. I could even feel that my clothes were gone and I was in a hospital gown now with something on my head. Then while I was out of it again, I heard two people speaking over to my bed.

They didn’t know I was aware enough to hear them but I could hear Miss O’Connor lecturing someone and saying, “You got lucky, you know that? I want you to look at her and realize how much of a risk you took moving her and taking her to the hospital yourself”. Then I figured out who the other voice was, it was Jessica getting yelled at by her mother for some reason. She tried apologizing to her mother and saying that I seemed fine at the time, but all Miss O'Connor had to say back was, “Don’t apologize to me, apologize to the girl you almost killed with your poor judgment. I know you’re not that experienced with this type of shit, but you should at least have the common sense to know not to do that”.

The commotion above me brought me out of my stupor and, though it took them a second, both of them quickly noticed me trying to look at them and stopped arguing as I attempted to say Earl’s name. Miss O’Connor softly put her hand over my mouth to stop me from talking and calmly said, “Anna, Earl is gonna be fine honey. He’s just gonna be laid up for a few weeks while his back heals”. Thank god.

She then took her hand off of my mouth and started tracing her fingers around my face and hairline while saying, “You on the other hand broke the poor guy's fall and had a bit of a brain bleed. The surgeon fixed it and you’re gonna be fine, you just need to rest and get better”. I was still confused, but knowing even half of what happened to me in that gap between passing out in the car and ending up here was comforting.

She then stepped back from the bed and said in that tone of voice she usually used when she was mad at me, “Jessica, I believe you have something you would like to say”. Jessica then held my hand and said with what sounded like guilt in her voice, “Anna, I shouldn’t have moved you, nor should I have taken you to the hospital myself. My poor judgment could’ve killed you, and I should’ve known better from the moment I went outside last night. I’m sorry for that and hope you can forgive me for my mistake”. Miss O’Connor sounded satisfied with the apology and left the room to get back to work as Jessica refused to let go of my hand while I fell back asleep a little while later.

I would find out later that Miss O’Connor lied to me so I wouldn’t freak out, and that “bit of a brain bleed” was in reality a subdermal hematoma that almost killed me instead. I also found out later when I overheard her talking to my doctor that she went further than making Jessica apologize, and used her connections around the hospital to make sure she was there to witness every bloody and traumatic moment of the staff saving my life. I didn’t understand at the time why she reacted so severely, since I was just a slave, but I found out when Miss O’Connor vented to me later that day on her break, “ Medical students and interns think they know everything until their inexperience almost gets someone killed. It’s better for her to learn that lesson early and see the consequences of her mistake”.

After she was done venting about Jessica, I attempted to apologize for costing her so much money, but she stopped me and warmly said, “Honey, I don’t cheap out on insurance for my slaves. Your surgery cost me 500 dollars copay and the rest will be under a couple of grand, that’s it. All you need to worry about when I take you home in a couple of days is resting until I clear you for work again. Edna’s probably not going to be happy about it, but she hates you for some reason anyway and she can deal with it.

When I finally got let out of the hospital, my head still hurt and I was still out of it no matter how hard I tried to focus. I also took a full-grown man’s weight hitting me, so despite it being nothing more than some bruises, I was hurting all over without the painkillers. Miss O’Connor wasn’t kidding about the rest though, and she even made sure to set me up in the guest bedroom so she could keep an eye on me, and I could mostly avoid Edna while I was put on bed-rest for the next week or two to recover from having someone inside my skull.

In an odd twist, I didn’t like laying in bed all day doing nothing but watching Netflix, and despite Edna believing that I just being lazy, I couldn’t stand being so exhausted all the time. Luckily after the first week, I was able to return to light duty and do some basic cooking and cleaning at least. I still felt useless though, since I could only do a couple of hours of work before having to lie down again. I couldn’t even concentrate long enough to take care of Jessica properly on her sex night and ended up falling asleep with her pussy in my mouth. Luckily she was a good sport about it and helped me back to my bed so her mom didn’t find out I was “working”. Earl was doing better at least, with the artificial disks they had to put in his spine supposedly being better than the real ones he had there before.

It took a little longer than two weeks for Miss O’Connor to clear me for the full range of housework though, and with me and Earl down for the count Edna was starting to take it out on me even more by the end. I didn’t blame her for stressing out, even though Miss O’Connor lowered her standards until we came back, but I was trying and I just wanted her to see this instead of hating me for her husband’s decision.

Despite the hate from Edna, it was nice getting back to work, and I even got some good news a few days after I was back up and running. Apparently, Miss O’Connor was going to her brother’s ranch for Christmas that year, and since I could drive now, I guess I was accompanying the family on their road trip there the next week. It was going to be my first time leaving this city, let alone the state, and even though I was just going along as a servant I was still excited.
These users thanked the author Danicali299 for the post (total 5):
ZeeChromosomeimreadonly2jean.amelotJustBobTauriRed

ZeeChromosome
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Anna’s Story - A Slave’s Journal Entry 12

Post by ZeeChromosome »

Good chapter. I had one of those hematomas once. Not fun.

I like the way you're slipping more world-building into the narrative as you become more comfortable writing this story.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
These users thanked the author ZeeChromosome for the post:
imreadonly2

Danicali299
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Danicali299 »

ZeeChromosome wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:00 am Good chapter. I had one of those hematomas once. Not fun.

I like the way you're slipping more world-building into the narrative as you become more comfortable writing this story.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Yeah, I wanted to mention illegal slavery and the slave prisons earlier, but didn’t have the right “in” to mention it without it feeling shoehorned in there.

Any points of interest that you liked/disliked or think need clarification when I get around to doing rewrites?
These users thanked the author Danicali299 for the post:
ZeeChromosome

ZeeChromosome
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ZeeChromosome »

Danicali299 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 amAny points of interest that you liked/disliked or think need clarification when I get around to doing rewrites?
Naw. Remember, I'm not shy. Also, I expect the same from anyone else. If I thought I had something helpful to add, I would.

One thing I recommend, though, is stick to legal slavery. Just a personal preference of mine. To me, the core concept of the legal slavery genre is that it's LEGAL. I'm not personally fond of illegal slavery or human trafficking stories.

That being said, it's reasonable to add that as an off-screen threat to your characters. I think it would be unreasonable for there to NOT be a black market in these circumstances. Carl did a good job of incorporating "pony rustlers" into one of his human pony stories ("Breeding the Pony Girl") and I thought that was very well done.

Zee
These users thanked the author ZeeChromosome for the post (total 2):
imreadonly2Danicali299

Danicali299
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Danicali299 »

ZeeChromosome wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:18 am
Danicali299 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 amAny points of interest that you liked/disliked or think need clarification when I get around to doing rewrites?
Naw. Remember, I'm not shy. Also, I expect the same from anyone else. If I thought I had something helpful to add, I would.

One thing I recommend, though, is stick to legal slavery. Just a personal preference of mine. To me, the core concept of the legal slavery genre is that it's LEGAL. I'm not personally fond of illegal slavery or human trafficking stories.

That being said, it's reasonable to add that as an off-screen threat to your characters. I think it would be unreasonable for there to NOT be a black market in these circumstances. Carl did a good job of incorporating "pony rustlers" into one of his human pony stories ("Breeding the Pony Girl") and I thought that was very well done.

Zee
Agreed on the human trafficking. With a lot of the darker stuff I like to give enough details to worldbuild, but not enough to get off to or fetishize it. Using the illegal slaves as an example, I mostly use it to reinforce how bad an area Anna is from. Same with the slave prisons. They are objectively buildings filled to the brim with suffering and misery, but with that type of stuff I like to go with the “this exists and is terrible, now let’s move on” approach.

ElJefe
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ElJefe »

Ditto on the world building. The old South was full of silly restrictions on slaves, all aimed on ending any sort of slave revolt before it started. From the date (1920s), it seems that this is a world where slavery was resumed in the US no more than 50 years after the Civil War; that or it never went away, just transformed from chattel slavery to another type.

Edna and Earl could be from any antebellum tale. I haven't read past this segment yet, but one would think that after so many months with them Anna would have learned how they came to be enslaved.
These users thanked the author ElJefe for the post:
ZeeChromosome

Danicali299
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Danicali299 »

ElJefe wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:22 am Ditto on the world building. The old South was full of silly restrictions on slaves, all aimed on ending any sort of slave revolt before it started. From the date (1920s), it seems that this is a world where slavery was resumed in the US no more than 50 years after the Civil War; that or it never went away, just transformed from chattel slavery to another type.

Edna and Earl could be from any antebellum tale. I haven't read past this segment yet, but one would think that after so many months with them Anna would have learned how they came to be enslaved.
Slavery never ended in this timeline, it just modernized and got way less racist over time. Keeping this in mind there are two types of slaves, chattel and indentured servants. Edna and Earl are chattel, their parents were slaves and their parents before them. In the case of most other slaves, they are indentured servants working off their debt with a court ordered term of slavery. Then we have Anna, whose mom owed so much in medical bills that she was sold off as a chattel slave because no term of indenture would cover that much debt.

There is a path to freedom for chattel slaves though, it’s just long and full of bureaucracy and dumb requirements.
These users thanked the author Danicali299 for the post (total 2):
ElJefeZeeChromosome