Please don't forget to leave feedback on the stories you read!

How Many Pages

New to writing? Post your story here. For first-time authors.
gary
Established Author
Established Author

How Many Pages

Post by gary »

I would like to know about how many pages of text can a person upload. I use Microsoft Word and when I put up one of my stories the last part got cut off because of file limits.

jaws
Shark
Shark

Re: How Many Pages

Post by jaws »

There appears to be a character limit of 60000 characters. I don't know how many pages that is, but perhaps there is a function like wordcount that you can use? Also please note you have your own subforum under "Stories by established authors" you can use to post stories in :)

automagix12
Site Operator
Site Operator

Post by automagix12 »

Gary, you can attach a MS Word file (doc or rtf) directly to a message here at the board. Click on Attachments tab
Good girls will not be spanked here :D

gary
Established Author
Established Author

Post by gary »

I will upload my stories to my folder, and thank you for creating it. Microsoft Word does have a word count so that will give me a guide. I also remember that in the Yahoo Group they didn't want people uploading .doc (Microsoft Word) files because not everyone could open them, so think I will stick with Copy Paste.

automagix12
Site Operator
Site Operator

Post by automagix12 »

Gary, I think the 60,000 character limit only applies to posted messages, like this one. If you upload your stories as RTF files, there will only be a 6.5 MBytes memory limit. So, you could have thousands of pages of text. You can simply click File > Save as > Rich Text Format (*.rtf) in MS Word.
I recommend to proceed this way.

GypsieCowboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by GypsieCowboy »

so this all leads Me to questions in addition to those I posted elsewhere a bit earlier -

"Gary, you can attach a MS Word file (doc or rtf) directly to a message here at the board. Click on Attachments tab"

and

"If you upload your stories as RTF files, there will only be a 6.5 MBytes memory limit. So, you could have thousands of pages of text. You can simply click File > Save as > Rich Text Format (*.rtf) in MS Word."

First, I don’t know what you mean by “click on the Attachments tab” what, where? Do you mean from My email? I don’t use email to visit strip searches home… in fact, have no idea how I would do that other than when I am responding to something I receive in My email from our home…

and I remember that 3 years ago when I bought a brand new computer (desktop p.c., the only way I will ever do the internet) I saw I could use rtf, odf or a microsoft word labelled as being from some years back. When I tried using the rtf function numerous people were unable to open to read the docs I sent that way whether as attachments to email or as submissions to various websites. So I permanently stopped using ODF and rtf and only use doc.

And I bought My father a brand new computer about 5 years ago and it used MS Word – the same thing happened… in fact, I could not open those files from My own computer when I used Dad’s puter to send them to Myself. I had no idea that Microsoft Word and MS Word are not the same, in fact not even compatible

Hence all of this is super confusing.

And also I need to read a good description of – definition of – the type of stories we are welcome to post and share here. I did not send a lot to Tracey’s Stories because I seldom write the type of story Katie requires…

I love reading all the Watcher’s and Steve B’s and Katie’s and etc but I write very different stuff…

GypsieCowboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by GypsieCowboy »

and now I cannot find My way back to wherever I first saw this "how many pages" thread... and when I try to use the search engine it rejects each of those words as being too common... though I had typed it in within the quotation marks so that the engine would see it as a whole...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

GypsieCowboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by GypsieCowboy »

also I note that stories from others nearly always have comments but none of those I have posted here so far have a single comment... which makes Me think that somehow the stories I have submitted do not fit the genre(s) allowed here...

gary
Established Author
Established Author

Post by gary »

I post using Copy / Paste mostly to make it easiest for everyone to read.

SteveBurke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SteveBurke »

GypsieCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 am also I note that stories from others nearly always have comments but none of those I have posted here so far have a single comment... which makes Me think that somehow the stories I have submitted do not fit the genre(s) allowed here...
If your stories weren't allowed we would have told you and/or removed them.
"Spread your legs and BEND OVER!" :twisted:

automagix12
Site Operator
Site Operator

Post by automagix12 »

GypsieCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 am also I note that stories from others nearly always have comments but none of those I have posted here so far have a single comment... which makes Me think that somehow the stories I have submitted do not fit the genre(s) allowed here...
GC, I think there might be a simple explanation for that: your stories had already appeared in the Stripsearch Yahoo groups long ago. So, everybody could read them there, and post comments if they like.
Here in the new board, the vast majority of members are probably people who were in the Yahoo groups before, so they already know your stories.
The new forum here is for new stories, but also for older stories as kind of an archive. (This will become essential when Yahoo deletes all files in December. )

SteveBurke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SteveBurke »

GypsieCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:05 am so this all leads Me to questions in addition to those I posted elsewhere a bit earlier -

"Gary, you can attach a MS Word file (doc or rtf) directly to a message here at the board. Click on Attachments tab"

and

"If you upload your stories as RTF files, there will only be a 6.5 MBytes memory limit. So, you could have thousands of pages of text. You can simply click File > Save as > Rich Text Format (*.rtf) in MS Word."

First, I don’t know what you mean by “click on the Attachments tab” what, where? Do you mean from My email? I don’t use email to visit strip searches home… in fact, have no idea how I would do that other than when I am responding to something I receive in My email from our home…

When you post a reply here, at the bottom of the text box on the left hand side there are two tabs. One is marked 'options', the other is marked 'attachments'. Selecting 'attachments' will allow you to upload a file from your computer.

As regards word, doc etc: if you can't even read the files generated on your own computer there's probably something wrong with your Windows install.

GypsieCowboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by GypsieCowboy »

Hey Steve

you responded to my questions saying "When you post a reply here, at the bottom of the text box on the left hand side there are two tabs. One is marked 'options', the other is marked 'attachments'. Selecting 'attachments' will allow you to upload a file from your computer.

As regards word, doc etc: if you can't even read the files generated on your own computer there's probably something wrong with your Windows install."

I do not see any such two tabs... neither 'options' nor 'attachments' show up anywhere on the stripsearh page.

and I cannot understand your reference to Me not being able to read files generated on My own computer... I don't think I ever said anything like that. I don't have any such problem as long as I am using Open Office to create a document in Word 97-2003.

I have Windows 10 Version 1909 installed... and as with all Windows products, the more they tinker with them to make them "better" the more counterintuitive I find them, the more difficult it is to figure out how to do whatever it is I want to do, and worst of all, the harder it is to try to remember when I do finally manage to accomplish anything other than the very simple type and copy and paste and save. Is about all I can do... oh and go online to do some stuff that I want to do... a lot of stuff I did years ago can no longer work. And most of the newer stuff, like DropBox for example, totally fails Me... and I lost everything I tried to save there... forever gone...

oh well, I get by.

Sorry I missed everybody's New Year good wishes. I have been going through an extended family emergency involving My elderly mother and nothing else has seemed very important for the past 7 weeks.

-GypsieCowboy

GypsieCowboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by GypsieCowboy »

oh but then when I was writing that last to you, Steve, when I went down to click on Submit in order to send it to the group... I saw that I could scroll down further so I did so and this time (unlike the page where I was reading your advice) I see the options and attachments buttons and also something about BBC code - I have no idea what that might be. and "do not automatically parse URLs" - I have no idea what "parse" means in this context. and "attach a signature" but I have no idea exactly *what signature* might get attached... I prefer to type My own.

So I clicked on "Options" and nothing at all happened. Is that just a title above the BBC code etc I mentioned above? it does not seem to be a button. I see that if I am already in the midst of writing a reply I can attach files from My computer folders. But I don't know remember how I even sent in the stories I did because once again I cannot address the group unless I am responding to something I find in the group such as your response to My comments/questions in this thread...

- GypsieCowboy

SteveBurke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SteveBurke »

When you are on the "post reply" screen, scroll down and you will see the "options" and "attachments" buttons on the lower left.

Click "attachments" and another button appears below - "add files". Click on that and you can select a file from your computer. Or you can just click and drag a file into the text box.